Kalita Pourover How-To
Always wanted to learn how to make a pourover? Let's get brewing!
What you'll need
- Kalita Wave Dripper
- Kalita Wave Filter
- Kalita Glass Server
- Kettle with water at about 200F
- Grinder (we recommend the Baratza Encore for pourovers)
- Coffee (our current favorite for pourovers is the James Coffee White Owl)
And here are the steps in more detail:
- We start with 360g of water at about 200F. A variable temperature kettle is handy!
- Grind 24g of your preferred coffee at medium to coarse grind.
- Place your server on the scale, and your dripper on the server.
- Place your filter into cone and pre-wet the filter with hot water. We'll remove the paper taste from the filter and heat up our server at the same time. Discard water.
- Place your ground coffee into cone. Tare your scale and make sure it is set to grams.
- Start your timer and pre-wet your grounds with 60g of water.
- Pause for 30 seconds - in this time your coffee will "bloom", meaning that the coffee releases CO2.
- Pour the remaining 300g of water at a moderate rate, making sure not to overfill the cone. Pause as needed.
- Finish at around 2:30min.